What is The Emerging Leaders Program?
Emerging Leaders is a UNC Charlotte tradition founded in 1980 that offers a select group of first-year, first-time UNC Charlotte students the opportunity to develop leadership skills, while making friends and having a great time. If you want to get involved and make a true contribution to the campus community, this program is ideal for you!
Emerging Leaders provides leadership training and mentorship to first-year, first-time students at UNC Charlotte; maximizing the ability of these individuals to succeed and contribute to UNC Charlotte as student leaders in the coming years.
Students accepted into the program meet on two Sunday afternoons during the fall semester and then each Wednesday during the spring semester from 4 PM to 6 PM [edited 8/30/2022]. Emerging Leaders listen to speakers, participate in workshops, learn about leadership opportunities on campus, and participate in community service and social events. Participants also attend an off-campus retreat in January and a graduation brunch in April.
Who Should Apply?
- Are committed to getting involved on campus
- Want to meet other new students
- Were leaders in high school
- Were not involved in high school activities but want to take that step at UNC Charlotte
What to Expect?
- Attendance at the two fall meetings [November 6th & 13th]
- Attendance at the Spring Retreat in January [tentatively January 27-28]
- Payment of a non-refundable participation fee of $60
- Presence at the spring semester meetings on Wednesdays from 4pm to 6pm [edited 8/30/2022].
- Presence at a minimum of four social or community service events + participation in our Star Marks program.
- Creation and implementation of a group, service-learning project
What Will I Gain?
- Development of skills that will benefit you personally and professionally
- An introduction to leadership positions on campus
- Peer mentor support and friendships with other motivated first-year students
- Social, intramural, and community service activities
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership Styles
- Ethical Leadership
- Public Speaking
- Emotional Intelligence
- Equitable & Inclusive Leadership
- Conflict Management